In this episode, I answer a listener question about Curwen hand signs and MLT-based instruction.
Mentioned in this episode…
- LSA SURVEY INVITATION: I am conducting a survey of elementary general music teachers’ use of Learning Sequence Activities (LSAs) in their teaching practice, including teachers’ decisions whether to use LSAs and any adaptations they choose to make. You do NOT need to use LSAs in order to participate in this study. The only eligibility criteria are: (1) You currently teach elementary general music; AND (2) You have completed an Elementary General Music Level 1 Professional Development Levels Course (PDLC) through the Gordon Institute for Music Learning in the past 10 years (Summer 2013-present). If you fit these criteria, I would like to invite you to complete a brief online survey. The survey should take 10-15 minutes to complete, is completely voluntary and confidential, and can only be taken once. You may read more about this survey and enter your responses (if you so choose) here: https://forms.gle/piGLs9fkxsqxwxw46 Thank you for taking the time to help us learn about elementary music teachers’ implementation of LSAs!
- GIML Spring Workshop with Dr. Beth Bolton on May 6: https://giml.org/quarterly-workshop-with-beth-bolton/
- NAfME General Music Conference on April 29: https://nafme.org/community/societies-and-councils/council-for-general-music-education/
- Episode 42 on choosing a solfege/syllable system: https://everydaymusicality.com/2022/03/08/e01-42choosing-a-tonal-solfege-or-rhythm-syllable-system/
- Episode 33 on Aural/Oral: https://everydaymusicality.com/2021/09/21/e01-33-intro-to-aural-oral/
- Episode 41 on Verbal Association: https://everydaymusicality.com/2022/02/26/e01-41-intro-to-verbal-association/
- “Learning Styles Debunked” https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/learning-styles-debunked-there-is-no-evidence-supporting-auditory-and-visual-learning-psychologists-say.html
- “The Myth of ‘Learning Styles'” https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/04/the-myth-of-learning-styles/557687/
- Episode 1 on Audiation: https://everydaymusicality.com/2021/09/14/re-air-e01-01-what-is-audiation/
- Episode 2 on Aptitude: https://everydaymusicality.com/2021/09/29/re-air-e01-02-what-is-music-aptitude/
- Episode 3 on Sequential Learning: https://everydaymusicality.com/2021/10/14/re-air-e01-03-what-is-sequential-music-learning/
Support the podcast by becoming a patron on Patreon!
Host: Heather Nelson Shouldice
Sponsors: GIA Publications, Inc., Gordon Institute for Music Learning
Podcast Cover Art: Tyler Nordstrom
Intro/Outro Music: Heather Nelson Shouldice
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions for future episodes, email them to email@example.com!