In this episode, I focus on building audiation in Mixolydian tonality.
Mentioned in this episode:
- GIA Publications (www.giamusic.com)
- Tonalities handout (https://everydaymusicality.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/shouldice-tonalities-session-handout.pdf)
- “Uptight” by Stevie Wonder (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDbyOLzEyfk)
- “No Rain” by Blind Melon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjN4dMvC0Gs)
- “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbxm3NysOlQ)
- “Royals” by Lorde (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcIKh6sBtc)
- “Mirrorball” by Chanticleer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VQ32wUAHr8)
- Crowd-sourced List of Recorded Music in Various Tonalities (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c1j-28tVhi4AJ0odjB09ByPIJ9e4SdmPzVTiNRdCxKk/edit?usp=sharing
- Tonal pattern conversation/Song conversation (https://youtu.be/HinHHPqSb-8)
- Link to Music Play 2 (https://www.giamusic.com/store/resource/music-play-2-bundle-print-gj383)
Support the podcast by becoming a patron on Patreon!
Host: Heather Nelson Shouldice
Sponsors: GIA Publications, Inc., Gordon Institute for Music Learning
Podcast Cover Art: Tyler Nordstrom
Intro/Outro Music: Heather Nelson Shouldice
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions for future episodes, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org!
8 thoughts on “E01.12: Mixolydian Meanderings”
Reblogged this on Suzanne Gilmore Music Blog and commented:
Such an interesting and useful tool to learn to audiate mixolydian tonality!
I loved this. Thank you for the examples and interactive work!
Just saw your comment! Thanks for your feedback! 🙂
Pingback: E01.32: Leaping Into Lydian – Everyday Musicality
Pingback: E01.37: Bridging to Creativity/Improvisation from Aural/Oral – Everyday Musicality
Pingback: E01.38: New Year’s Intentions – Everyday Musicality
Pingback: E01.40: Aid for Aeolian – Everyday Musicality
Pingback: E01.52: Types and Stages of Audiation – Everyday Musicality