In this episode, we talk about the basics of pattern instruction: what it is, why it’s helpful, and how to get started.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Crowd-sourced List of Recorded Music in Various Tonalities (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c1j-28tVhi4AJ0odjB09ByPIJ9e4SdmPzVTiNRdCxKk/edit?usp=sharing)
- Crowd-sourced List of Recorded Music in Various Meters (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15lCZ5r7jTom5nKSbFEkD5ZErzGz0eB0mQ_uhc49exvo/edit?usp=sharing)
- GIA Publications (www.giamusic.com)
- The Ways Children Learn Music by Eric Bluestine (https://www.giamusic.com/store/resource/ways-children-learn-music-book-g5480)
- Grutzmacher, P. A. (1987). The effect of tonal pattern training on the aural perception, reading recognition, and melodic sight-reading achievement of first-year instrumental music students. Journal of Research in Music Education, 35(3), 171-181. (https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.2307/3344959
- Summary of Azzara’s study of the effects of pattern instruction and improvisation in young instrumentalists’ music achievement (https://everydaymusicality.com/2019/02/06/audiation-based-improvisation-techniques-and-elementary-instrumental-students-music-achievement-azzara-1993)
- “Learning from Young Children” book, which includes chapter on study by Velez (https://rowman.com/isbn/9781607093237/learning-from-young-children-research-in-early-childhood-music)
- Gordon’s “Quick and Easy Introductions” for only $.01! (https://www.giamusic.com/store/resource/quick-and-easy-introductions-book-g8418)
- Tonal pattern instruction via a Learning Sequence Activity (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Qco-vLFFU)
- Rhythm pattern instruction via a Learning Sequence Activity (https://youtu.be/cnZyLe3rzFU)
- GIVEAWAY #2: If you would like to enter to win a copy of “The Ways Children Learn Music” by Eric Bluestine, share your favorite episode of this podcast so far on social media and add the hashtags #everydaymusicalitypodcast and #giapublications. You can do this on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Just remember to set the post privacy to “public” or tag Everyday Musicality Podcast on FB so that I’ll be able to see it when I search for the hashtags. Winner will be announced on May 12, so enter by May 5!
Support the podcast by becoming a patron on Patreon!
Host: Heather Nelson Shouldice
Sponsors: GIA Publications, Inc., Gordon Institute for Music Learning
Podcast Cover Art: Tyler Nordstrom
Intro/Outro Music: Heather Nelson Shouldice
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions for future episodes, email them to email@example.com!
3 thoughts on “E01.08: Basics of Pattern Instruction”
Pingback: Eo1.20: Musicianship-Building Pt. 1 – Everyday Musicality
Pingback: E01.34: Tonal Aural/Oral Skills – Everyday Musicality
Pingback: E01.35: Rhythm Aural/Oral Skills – Everyday Musicality