In this episode, we examine the third of three core tenets of MLT: Sequential Music Learning.
Mentioned in this episode:
- GIA Publications (www.giamusic.com)
- Learning Sequences in Music by Edwin E. Gordon (https://www.giamusic.com/store/resource/learning-sequences-in-music-2012-edition-book-g2345)
- Gordon Institute for Music Learning (www.giml.org)
- Overview of Gordon’s skill learning sequence (https://giml.org/mlt/lsa-sls/)
- Navigating Music Learning Theory: A Guide for General Music Teachers by Dr. Jill Reese (https://www.giamusic.com/store/resource/applying-music-learning-theory-in-elementary-general-music-book-g9691)
- The Ways Children Learn Music by Eric Bluestine (https://www.giamusic.com/store/resource/ways-children-learn-music-book-g5480)
- Video of me singing with my 4-month-old child (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Ftk0To4LU&t=6s)
- GIVEAWAY: If you would like to enter to win a copy of “Navigating Music Learning Theory: A Guide for General Music Teachers” by Jill Reese, post a picture on social media with a description of why you love teaching with MLT with the hashtags #everydaymusicalitypodcast and #giapublications on or before February 25. (Be sure to set the post to “public” or tag the “Everyday Musicality Podcast” Facebook page!)
Support the podcast by becoming a patron on Patreon!
Host: Heather Nelson Shouldice
Sponsors: GIA Publications, Inc., Gordon Institute for Music Learning
Podcast Cover Art: Tyler Nordstrom
Intro/Outro Music: Heather Nelson Shouldice
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions for future episodes, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org!
3 thoughts on “E01.03: What Is Sequential Music Learning?”
Pingback: E01.33: Intro to Aural/Oral – Everyday Musicality
Pingback: E01.41: Intro to Verbal Association – Everyday Musicality
Pingback: E01.42:Choosing a Tonal Solfege or Rhythm Syllable System – Everyday Musicality