E01.10: An Impromptu Episode
In this episode, I reflect a bit about recent events and share some thoughts on what we can do as music educators and MLT practitioners.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Summary of study on race and teachers’ perceptions of student misbehavior (https://everydaymusicality.com/2020/06/03/race-and-perceptions-of-student-misbehavior/)
- Study on race and principals’ perceptions of student misbehavior (https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1948550619875150)
- Implicit bias info:
- Decolonizing the Music Room
- Webinar on choosing repertoire: https://vimeo.com/419122217
- Woke Kindergarten
- “Hell You Talmbout” by Janelle Monae (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHIUve8V2zo)
- Video of student composition (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry-hRjx5b84)
- The Score Podcast (https://podthescore.buzzsprout.com)
- “Music Education for Social Change” by Juliet Hess (https://www.routledge.com/Music-Education-for-Social-Change-Constructing-an-Activist-Music-Education/Hess/p/book/9781138322530)
- “Marginalized Voices in Music Education” edited by Brent Talbot (https://www.routledge.com/Marginalized-Voices-in-Music-Education/Talbot/p/book/9780415788335)
- Anti-racist resources: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PrAq4iBNb4nVIcTsLcNlW8zjaQXBLkWayL8EaPlh0bc/mobilebasic
Support the podcast by becoming a patron on Patreon!
Host: Heather Nelson Shouldice
Sponsors: GIA Publications, Inc., Gordon Institute for Music Learning
Podcast Cover Art: Tyler Nordstrom
Intro/Outro Music: Heather Nelson Shouldice
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions for future episodes, email them to email@example.com!